UN-Saudi accord on continual dialogue about Yemen south

Amman (Debriefer)
2019-08-20 | Since 4 Week

((The UN especial envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths))

The UN especial envoy to Yemen has agreed with the Saudi defense undersecretary, Prince Khaled Bin Salman, that dialogue on the south of Yemen needs to continue, Envoy Martin Griffiths said Tuesday, ten days after the separatist Southern Transitional Council (STC) had seized Aden.

Monday meeting with Prince Khaled was positive and fruitful, with the Saudi defense undersecretary leading successful efforts to restore stability in the south of Yemen, Griffiths added on Twitter.

The UN envoy is expected late Tuesday to brief the UN Security Council on recent developments in Yemen.

On August 10, the Emirati-backed separatist STC's forces seized full control over the Yemeni southern port city of Aden, seat of the official government, following violent clashes with official army that left 40 people killed and 260 others injured, according to UN release seizure of Aden.

The Yemeni legitimate government dismissed the STC seizure as another coup in Aden, following the Houthi coup in Sana'a, holding the UAE and STC responsible for ramifications.

On same day, the Saudi-led coalition called on the STC to pull back its forces from positions its forces seized last Saturday, and threatened to "use military force."

Riyadh called for immediate dialogue in the kingdom between Yemeni government and the STC.

On Monday, Yemeni sources said talks expected in Riyadh between the Yemeni government and the STC had been postponed, with the STC refusing to quit Aden port.

Developments in the south have further worsen the UN stalled efforts to craft a solution for Yemen's 4-year bloody conflict between the internationally-recognized Yemeni government's forces, backed by the Saudi-led coalition, and the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels who ousted the government in 2014.

Southern separatists have exploited Yemen's war to enhance their presence, backed by the UAE that helped establishment of STC in May 2017 to consist of Yemeni southern bodies calling for separation, but also trained and armed local forces under STC command.

 

 


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment