UN Secretary-General António Guterres expressed concern about a coalition airstrike early Friday on north of the port city of Hodeida in Yemen. Guterres appealed for restraint and said the warring parties had agreed to respect a 13 December 2018 cease-fire deal in the Hodeida area, UN spokesman said in statment.
He pointed to that the parties reaffirmed their commitment to the ceasefire provided for in the Agreement at the last Joint Meeting of the Redeployment Coordination Committee earlier this month.
The Saudi-led coalition backing Yemeni legitimacy announced on Friday a "qualitative" military operation in the north of the Red Sea city of Hodeida against Houthi "hostile targets threatening the regional and international security."
The "ruined targets included four sites for assembling booby-trapped, remote-controlled boats and naval mines," said the coalition spokesman Turki al-Maliki.
From its part, the Houthi group (Ansar Allah) on Friday accused the Saudi-led Arab coalition to support of legitimacy in Yemen that it has committed a "serious escalation" in the province of Hodeida is an official repudiation of the Stockholm Agreement.
Yemen has been devastated by a five-year armed conflict between the government backed by the Saudi-led coalition and the Iran-backed Houthis. The conflict erupted after the Houthis ousted the government and seized power in late 2014.
The Red Sea city of Hodeida and its ports have been under Houthi control since late 2014, while Yemeni joint forces loyal to legitimate government and Arab coalition have massed at the city's fringes since last November seeking to retake the strategic port.
Parties to the 5-year war in Yemen, after 8-day peace talks in Sweden, reached on the 13th of last December an agreement providing for ceasefire in Hodeida and redeployment of both sides' forces, exchanging prisoners and alleviating blockade imposed by Houthis on Taiz.
But none of this has taken place so far, with both sides trading blames for trying to thwart the deal.