The United Nations Secretary-General's Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, welcomed Saturday evening, Welcomed the initiative announced by the Houthi group (Ansar Allah) in Yemen on Friday to stop military actions against Saudi Arabia.
The Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, welcomes the initiative announced by Ansar Allah on 20 September, on the cessation of hostile military acts against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He also welcomes the expression of further openness towards the implementation of the Prisoner Exchange Agreement and the desire for a political solution to end the conflict.
The Special Envoy stresses the importance of taking advantage of this opportunity and moving forward with all necessary steps to reduce violence, military escalation and unhelpful rhetoric.
The implementation of this initiative by Ansar Allah in good faith could send a powerful message of the will to end the war.
"The Special Envoy reiterates his call on all parties to respect international humanitarian law, exercise restraint, and to spare Yemen from being drawn further into regional tensions, for the benefit of the Yemeni people."
Yemen has been devastated by a five-year armed conflict between the government backed by the Saudi-led coalition and the Iran-backed Houthis. The conflict erupted after the Houthis ousted the government and seized power in late 2014.
The Houthi group (Ansar Allah) announced on Friday that it would end all strikes on Saudi Arabia, provided the kingdom and its allies did the same.
Mahdi al-Mashat, President of the Supreme Political Council set up by the Houthis to manage the areas under its control, said in a televised speech on the fifth anniversary of the group's takeover of the capital Sana'a in September 2014: "We announce the stop of targeting of the territory of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia by drone aircraft, ballistic and wings missiles and all forms of targeting. We await a similar response."
He pointed out that his group has implemented nearly 90% of its obligations under the Stockholm agreement, accusing the Yemen's internationally recognized government of not fulfilling its obligations.
Parties to the 4-year war in Yemen, after 8-day peace talks in Sweden, reached on the 13th of last December an agreement providing for ceasefire in Hodeida and redeployment of both sides' forces, exchanging prisoners and alleviating blockade imposed by Houthis on Taiz.
But none of this has taken place so far, with both sides trading blames for trying to thwart the deal.
Speaking at the same event, Saudi Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel al-Jubeir on Saturday said the weapons used were Iranian and vowed to release their full findings.
Adel Jubeir said his government was in consultation with allies and would take "necessary measures" after its investigation was complete, without giving details of possible actions.
"The kingdom calls upon the international community to assume its responsibility in condemning those that stand behind this act, and to take a firm and clear position against this reckless behaviour that threatens the global economy," he said.
The Houthi initiative comes a week after the group's attacks against Saudi Aramco, in the east of the kingdom, which halved its production, about 5 million barrels of oil per day.
Saudi Arabia and the United States have accused Iran of being behind the attack, a charge Tehran vehemently
denied, warning of any military moves against it.
Yemen conflict has triggered what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 14 million people risking famine and some 1.8 million children suffering malnutrition.