UN: 22 civilians have been killed in two separate air strikes in the past two days

Sana'a (Debriefer)
2019-09-25 | Since 4 Week

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The United Nations announced that Twenty-two civilians have been killed in two separate air strikes in the past two days.

A statement issued by the Office of the United Nations Resident Coordinator for the Humanitarian Coordinator in Yemen said that the first incident occurred on 23 September in Al Sawad, in Amran Governorate when strikes hit a mosque; seven civilians, including women and children from the same family were killed. Today, 15 civilians were killed and 15 more were injured when airstrikes hit a house in the Al Fakhir area in Al Dhalea Governorate.

The statement quoted the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator for Yemen, Lise Grande, as saying:" “We share our deepest condolences with the families of the killed and injured,”

“For these tragedies to have occurred during the UN General Assembly, when world leaders come together to advance peace and security, is profoundly disturbing.”, she added.

According to the statement, Protection partners report that more than 700 civilians have been killed and 1,600 injured during 2019 as result of the conflict.

Grand stressed that " This is the time when everyone should be finding ways to end this terrible war".

On Tuesday, the Houthi group (Ansar Allah) said that 16 citizens had been killed in Dhalea province by air strikes by Saudi-led Arab coalition warplanes.

Houthi forces spokesman Brigadier General Yahya Saree said in a statement that the dead were seven children, four women and five men, while one of the paramedics was wounded.

For its part, said the British Organisation for Child Welfare, citing its doctors who treated some of the victims that a wounded girl lost all members of her family in the explosion.

The NGO demanded an independent investigation, stressing that "we simply cannot accept that such atrocities are committed with impunity."

The air strikes in Qataba in Dhalea are the bloodiest since the Houthis announced on Friday evening that they would stop military operations in Saudi Arabia pending a "salute of the same or better."

This comes about ten days after the attacks against the oil company Aramco in eastern Saudi Arabia adopted by the Houthis group and caused the reduction of the Kingdom's production of crude in half. Washington and Riyadh blame Iran for the attacks.

 Yemen has been devastated by a five-year armed conflict between the government backed by the Saudi-led coalition and the Iran-backed Houthis. The conflict erupted after the Houthis ousted the government and seized power in late 2014.

More than 11.000 civilians have been killed and tens of thousands of others injured in the war. Millions have been displaced and tens of thousands have fled outside the country.

The coalition has been responsible for the vast majority of civilian casualties, according to the UN and international human rights organizations.

The conflict has caused what the United Nations calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

More than 24 million people, more than 80% of the country's population, are in need some form of humanitarian or protection assistance, including 8.4 million people who don't know where their next meal will come from, according to the UN.

 


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment