Yemeni gov't puts Hodeida deal application condition for further talks

Riyadh (Debriefer)
2019-10-22 | Since 4 Week

Yemeni Foreign Minister Mohamed al-Hadhrami at meeting with Swedish special envoy to Yemen Peter Simnby

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

To go to new talks for ending Yemen's war while Stockholm Agreement has yet to apply would embolden the Houthi group to not implement any future deal, the Yemeni internationally-recognized government said Monday.

At meeting with the Swedish special envoy, the Yemeni foreign minister appreciated the role plaid by Sweden to strike the Stockholm pact, which he said should be applied prior to any further talks.

"The implementation of this deal has been delayed a lot because of the Houthi obstinacy and repeated rejection to honor what they agreed to before the world," Mohamed al-Hadhrami told Peter Simnpy.

The rebels even obstruct the UN offices works in areas under their control, impeding the humanitarian aid delivery to millions of Yemenis in need and furthering humanitarian crisis, Yemen FM added.

The Swedish envoy expressed his country's support for Yemen and its official government to cope with the crisis and establish security and stability, and for Yemen's unity and territorial integrity, according to the Riyadh-based Saba.

Yemen has been racked by a 4.5-year bloody conflict between the Yemeni government's forces, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, and the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels who ousted the government in 2014.

Parties to the 4-year war in Yemen, after 8-day peace talks in Sweden, reached on the 13th of last December an agreement providing for ceasefire in Hodeida and redeployment of both sides' forces, exchanging prisoners and alleviating blockade imposed by Houthis on Taiz.

But none of this has taken place so far, with both sides trading blames for trying to thwart the deal.


Follow us on twitter
@DebrieferNet

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment