UN Griffiths arrives Sana'a to accompany Houthi delegation

Sana'a (Debriefer)
2018-12-04 | Since 2 Week

Griffiths arrives in Sana'a – archives

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The UN special envoy to Yemen arrived in the capital Sana'a on Monday to accompany the Houthi delegation to Sweden peace talks.

In his latest briefing to the UN Security Council last November, Martin Griffiths stated that he would be glad to "travel myself, if necessary, with their [Houthi] delegation to talks" in Stockholm.

Arrival of Yemeni warring parties in Sweden is more important than setting date of talks, which reportedly will be held in the 6th of this December.

Envoy Griffiths' trip to Sana'a comes after the Saudi-led Arab coalition announced that a UN airplane would land on Sana'a to evacuate 50 wounded Houthis to Masqat, as part of building confidence between parties.

"A UN commercial plane will arrive Monday in Sana'a Airport to evacuate wounded combatants who will accompanied by 50 attendants, 3 Yemeni doctors and a UN doctor," the Saudi news agency WAS quoted coalition spokesman, Colonel Turki al-Maliki as saying.

In Sana'a Airport's departure lounge, the wounded were seen Monday morning waiting for the plane that would take them to the Omani capital.

Dossier of the wounded Houthis is essential in efforts exerted to bring Yemeni warring parties together into peace talks.

The UN will help bring about a deal on Sana'a Airport to be reopened, said a source at the UN on Monday, also "as part of measures to build confidence between two parties."

Hanan al-Badawi, Media and communication officer at the UN envoy's office, said date of talks would only be announced after all Yemeni parties' arrival at venue defined to convene in Sweden.

"We hope that no surprises will happen in the coming days," she added. "There are positive signals so far from all Yemeni parties."

Last September, UN peace talks failed after Houthi delegation refused to leave Sana'a on UN plane, asking for Omani aircraft instead to provide additional room for wounded elements supposed to fly to Masqat. But Hadi rejected citing Houthi plans to transport Iranian and Lebanese injured combatants, though to have fought beside Houthis.

Earlier, in 2016, a previous round collapsed following 108 days of negotiations in Kuwait led to a failure to reach a pact on sharing authority and Houthi delegation stayed stuck in Oman for three months.

On Thursday, Houthis said they would take part in Sweden peace talks, as long as their departure and return are constantly guaranteed.

Information minister in legitimate government tweeted that the consent to evacuate the wounded was intended to "facilitate holding talks and remove any pretexts used by coup-leaders to evade peace opportunities."

Minister al-Iryani warned that "if these efforts fail, military option will be the only way to end sufferings of our Yemeni people."

Yemen has been racked by an armed conflict that broke out after the Iran-backed Houthis had ousted the internationally recognized government late in 2014.

The conflict escalated after a Saudi-led coalition intervened militarily in the country in March 2015 to reinstate the government of President Hadi, leaving some 16,000 killed, hundreds of thousands injured, and 3 million displaced.

Yemen is facing the world's worst humanitarian crisis, according to the UN, with more than two thirds of the 28-million population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 8.4 million people unsure how to get next meal, and some 2 million children suffering severe shortage of nutrition.


Follow us on Telegram:
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

Add Comment