Some 200 civilian families are trapped in a small area still under the control of the Islamic State (IS) in eastern Syria, UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet said on Tuesday.
IS is reportedly holding a few hundred square meters near the Iraqi border in Syria’s Deir ez-Zor province, already under heavy fire by the Coalition and Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF).
“Many of them [the civilians] ...continue to be subjected to intensified air and ground-based strikes by the US-led Coalition forces and their SDF allies on the ground,” Reuters quoted Bachelet.
Military commanders said earlier this week that the liberation of the last IS-held pocket was a matter of days.
Human rights organizations have previously warned about IS using civilians as human shield to resist the Coalition and SDF attacks.