"Not good" impressions by members of UNSC on Griffiths briefing

New York (Debriefer)
2019-03-14 | Since 7 Day

Griffiths during his briefing at UN Security Council (Archive)

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The impressions of members of the Security Council "were not good" after briefing of the UN Special to Yemen, Martin Griffiths at the UNSC on Wednesday in a closed session.

A number of members of the Security Council told the reporters of following the closed meesting, the UN envoy had confirmed that there was no progress in the implementation of Stockholm, especially in relation to the redeployment of forces of conflict paries from the city of Hodeida western Yemen.

France's Foreign Minister Francois Delattre, the current council president, told reporters after Wednesday's meeting that his report was "not good.", adding that they agreed that support for the UN envoy and the head of redeployment Committee was necessary.

Germany's UN Ambassador Christoph Heusgen said that at the council meeting "there was frustration that we haven't made more progress."

Heusgen added: "It was clear during the consultations that there was no alternative to us only to invite the parties (government and houthis) to negotiate and implement the agreement."

Belgium's UN Ambassador Marc Pecsteen de Buytswerve was blunter, telling reporters: "At this point of time there is no progress so the council might do something."

British Ambassador Karen Pierce told reporters: "The members of the council have long been said that the agreement reached in Stockholm was "crisp" but It can say that it more raped than we expect,".

"It's clear that one party has more problems than the other at the moment," she added.

Griffiths told the Council on February 19 that the first phase of the withdrawal would happen in the following days as first concrete step towards the stability of the escalation, but that was not achieved today.

General Michael Lollesgaard, who heads the UN mission to monitor redeployment from Hodeida, joined Griffithd to brief the council on the latest developments in Wednesday's session.

The UN Security Council warned of the violent fighting in the director of the Kusher in the province of Hajjah where the clashes occurred between the Houthis and the Hajoor tribes and have come to the control of the Houthis on the District.

An official in the Yemeni "legitimate" government revealed earlier that the head of the UN mission and the redeployment committee, the Danish General Michael Lollesgaard, told the "legitimate" Yemeni government' team in the Committee, that the Houthis did not agree to implement the first phase of the redeployment plan in Hodeida under the Swedish agreement.

The city of Hodeida and its three ports have been under Houthi control since late 2014, while Yemeni joint forces loyal to legitimate government and Arab coalition have massed at the city's fringes seeking to retake the strategic port.

Saudi Arabia has been leading a military coalition in Yemen since 26 March 2015, in support of forces loyal to President Hadi to retake areas controlled by Houthis seen as proxy for Iran in the Arab Peninsula country.

The conflict has left hundreds of thousands killed or injured and 3 million displaced, pushing the country to the world's worst humanitarian crisis,according to the UN, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 8.4 million people unsure how to get next meal, and some 2 million children suffering severe shortage of nutrition.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment