Yemeni, Saudi, Emirati gov'ts urge UNSC pressure on Houthis

New York (Debriefer)
2019-04-09 | Since 5 Month

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The Saudi, Emirati Yemen governments sent a joint letter on Tuesday calling upon the UN Security Council to pressure Houthis and Iran into putting an end to obstruction of the political pact to stop the 4-year war in Yemen.

Yemen has been racked by an armed conflict that broke out after the Iranian-backed Houthis had ousted the internationally recognized government late in 2014.

The conflict escalated after a Saudi-led coalition intervened militarily in the country in March 2015 to reinstate the government of President Hadi.

The Houthi group earns lavish income from its control over goods inflow into the rebel-held areas, said the letter.

The Yemeni capital of Sana'a, most populated areas in the northand the RedSea port city of Hodeida,along with state institutions, commercial banks and telecommunication firms have been under Houthi control.

A UN panel tasked with monitoring of sanctions on Yemensaidlast January, in its 2018 report, that Houthis received at least US$ 300 million a year in revenues of fuel shipped from Iran's ports to fund their war against the Saudi-backed official government of Hadi.

The rebels also collect annually some US$ 740 million in the form of revenues from firms and permit fees from communication, tobacco and other companies, according to the report.

Fees imposed on fuel imports through Hodeida port provide the Iranian-backed group with no less than US$ 300 million, in addition to revenues from fuel sold at black market, the paned said noting that the Houthis had several resources including customs levies collected at rebel-held Red Sea ports and Dhamar City.

The joint letter, carried by the Saudi Al-Arabiya TV, accused Houthis of denyingYemeni access to aid, claiming that the Yemeni, Saudi and Emirati have documented the Houthi "thefts" of relief supplies.

This has dissuaded coalition states from delivering humanitarian donations lest Houthis seize them, said the letter.

On 31st of last December, the United Nations' WFP directly accused Houthi rebels of fraud and thieving food aid intended for millions of Yemeni people in need and selling them at markets in rebel-held provinces and cities in north of the country.

WFP director David Beasley said after the Program learnt many people in the Houthi-controlled capital, Sana'a, have not been getting, its own investigation had found "evidence of trucks illicitly removing food from designated food distribution center" in Houthi-controlled areas as well as fraud by a local food aid distributer connected to the Houthis' Education Ministry.

Emirati, Saudi and Yemeni governments reiterated their commitment to political solution for Yemen conflict and their support to the UN envoy mission, particularly in terms of Stockholm deal application.

Parties to the 4-year war in Yemen, after 8-day peace talks in Sweden, reached on the 13th of last December an agreement providing for ceasefire in Hodeida and redeployment of both sides' forces, exchanging prisoners and alleviating blockade imposed by Houthis on Taiz.

But none of this has taken place so far, with both sides trading blames for trying to thwart the deal.

The conflict has lefttens of thousands killed, hundreds of thousands injured, and 3 million displaced, triggering what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 14 million people risking famine and some 1.8 million children suffering malnutrition.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment