Saudi-UAE support for Sudan to ensure continued involvement: Houthis

Sana'a (Debriefer)
2019-04-22 | Since 1 Month

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The Saudi and Emirati aid of US$ 3 billion for Sudan aims to keep the Sudanese army's participation in the Arab coalition backing the legitimacy in Yemen, said the Houthi group on Sunday.

"Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates are seeking to absorb the Sudanese public's fury by means of funds and false promises to ensure continued support for the Sudanese army's involvement in aggression on Yemen," Houthi information minister, Dhaifullah al-Shami tweeted.

Yemen has been racked by an armed conflict that broke out after the Iranian-backed Houthis had ousted the internationally recognized government late in 2014.

Saudi Arabia has been leading a military coalition in Yemen since 26 March 2015, in support of forces loyal to President Hadi to retake areas controlled by Houthis seen as proxy for Iran in the Arabian Peninsula country.

Since then, thousands of Sudanese troops have been fighting alongside the coalition, a move seen as radical shift in the Khartoum foreign policy, despite the traditional relations between ousted president Omar al-Bashir and Iran.

On Sunday, the Saudis and Emiratis announced a joint package of US$ 3-billion-worth aid for the African country, an initiative serving as safety net for the new military leaders after protests ousted president Omar Bashir.

One sixth (500 million) of the grant would be deposited into the Sudanese central bank, in order to "boost Sudanese pound" and the rest would be sent in the form of food, medicines and oil derivatives, said a statement carried by Saudi and UAE official news agencies.

Shami, also a member of the Houthi politburo, claimed that "Sudan has paid high price for treasonous and mercenary regime of Bashir, and I don't think it would fall into the same snare again."

Last Monday, the Sudanese Transitional Military Council (TMC) said their troops would remain as part of the Saudi-led coalition in support of legitimacy in Yemen.

"We are sticking to our commitments to the coalition and will keep our forces until the alliance achieves its objectives," said Deputy Head of the TMC, Lieutenant General Mohamed Hamdan Daglo.

The TMC new head, Abdul Fatah Burhan, has reportedly coordinated the deployment of Sudanese troops and supervised forces that fought beside coalition, so he has deep contacts with Gulf military leaders.

According to reports, most of the Sudanese ground troops fighting in Yemen are from the Rapid Response Forces, led by Daglo.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment