Yemeni VP says Houthis prepare for new battle

Riyadh (Debriefer)
2019-04-22 | Since 1 Month

Yemeni Vice-president at meeting with government team in Riyadh

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The Houthi group is preparing for new battle, said the Yemeni Vice-president Monday, accusing the rebels of persistently dodging and disdaining the UN efforts for peace in the war-torn country.

Houthis had no contribution "other than trenching their positions and preparing for new round of fighting," Ali Muhsin al-Ahmar added at meeting in Riyadh with government team at Hodeida Redeployment Coordination Committee.

According to the Aden-based Saba, the meeting focused on progress made by the team, in cooperation with the UN mission, to apply Hodeida pact.

VP Ahmar praised the team's flexibility and determination to implement the deal and, thus, to improve the humanitarian situation in Hodeida.

Parties to the 4-year war in Yemen, after 8-day peace talks in Sweden, reached on the 13th of last December an agreement providing for ceasefire in Hodeida and redeployment of both sides' forces, exchanging prisoners and alleviating blockade imposed by Houthis on Taiz.

But none of this has taken place so far, with both sides trading blames for trying to thwart the deal.

On Saturday, the Yemeni official army has accused Houthi forces of intensifying their military reinforcements and smuggling dozens of foreign fighters into the Red Sea port city of Hodeida.

The Houthis have forced a large number of migrants coming from the Horn of Africa region to enroll in their camps and deploy them on several fronts, Yemeni government forces spokesman Brigadier General Abdu Mojali told Asharq Al-Awsat.

He claimed that Houthis have brought these fighters to prepare for "military actions against civilians and their opponents, to attack [pro-Hadi] army sites and to reposition their troops."

Last Thursday, the UN Security Council expressed "grave concern" that agreements reached four months ago by the Yemeni official government and Houthi group have not been carried out and called for their implementation "without delay".

The Council called on Yemeni warring parties to pull their forces out of Hodeida rapidly, re-underscoring the need for all-inclusive political settlement as the only way out of war.

Yemen has been racked by an armed conflict that broke out after the Iranian-backed Houthis had ousted the internationally recognized government late in 2014.

The conflict escalated after a Saudi-led coalition intervened militarily in the country in March 2015 to reinstate the government of President Hadi.

Yemen 4-year war has triggered what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 14 million people risking famine and some 1.8 million children suffering malnutrition.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment