Consultations about implementation of 2nd phase of Hodeida agreement amid Houthi criticism

Aden-Sana'a (Debriefer)
2019-04-25 | Since 4 Month

Hodeida Seaport

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

Yemeni sources said that intensive consultations between the Office of the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General of the United Nations to Yemen Martin Griffiths and the Yemen's internationally recognized government on resolving all controversial issues and arrangements for the implementation of the first and second phases of the redeployment of troops in the province of Hodeida and its ports.

The two sides agreed to redeploy their forces outside the ports of Hodeida, Al-Salif and Ras Isa and the city of Hodeida and to ceasefire as of 7th. But nothing has been achieved on the group, with both sides trading blame for non-compliance with the terms agreed in Sweden.

The city of Hodeida and its three ports have been under Houthi control since late 2014, while Yemeni joint forces loyal to legitimate government and Arab coalition have massed at the city's fringes seeking to retake the strategic port.

The sources said that the consultations focused on the arrangements of the second phase of the redeployment plan and the resolution of differences concerning the local authority and local security forces, which will take over the protection after redeployment in the city of Hodeida and the three ports of Hodeida, Ras Isa and Salif.

In the same context, political sources reported the head of the Coordination Committee for the redeployment in Hodeida, General Michael Lollegaatd departured Yemen to the Jordanian capital of Amman, where the Office of the UN Envoy to Yemen is located.

The Sources in the Yemen' internationally recognized government confirmed that Lollesgaard would return to Yemen on May 5 to resume his work with the rest of the UN team in Hodeida, according to the Saudi Al-Arabia TV.

Mohammed Ali al-Houthi, a senior leader of the Houthi group (Ansar Allah) a member of the so-called Supreme Political Council, criticized what he described as an attempt to circumvent the Stockholm agreement and block its implementation.

"We condemn the attempted American-British-Saudi-UAE aggression and their allies to circumvent the Stockholm agreement by putting forward proposals that are contrary to what has been agreed upon and impede the implementation of which we have announced the approval and spoke about by the envoy at his last briefing to the Security Council," he tweeted.

Yemen has been racked by an armed conflict that entered its fifth year and had already triggered the world's worst humanitarian crisis, according to the UN, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including some 2 million children suffering severe shortage of nutrition in absence of adequate health care.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment