MSF resumes its work in Yemen’s Aden

Aden (Debriefer)
2019-05-05 | Since 3 Week

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

Doctors Without Borders (MSF) announced on Sunday that it would resume its work in a hospital in Aden, southern Yemen, following a decision to suspend its activities in early April after a patient was kidnapped and found dead later.

"MSF Aden Trauma hospital has resumed its activities as of today May 5th, after a month of suspension following a security incident that happened in the hospital in which a patient was taken from the hospital and found killed nearby," wrote on Twitter.

In another tweet Hassan Boucenine, MSF head of mission in Yemen said: "We have resumed the work of MSF at Aden Surgical Hospital because we are fully aware of the needs of the population."

He added: "We are grateful to all groups of society and the authorities that have expressed their support and solidarity with us after the incident."

"Following this incident, we have no choice but to suspend the admission of patients until further notice," said Caroline Seguin, MSF's program manager for Yemen. "Over recent weeks, the hospital has been functioning at full capacity, particularly the emergency room and intensive care unit, following an escalation of violence in the city."

On the morning of April 2, a group of armed men threatened guards and medical staff at Al Sadaqah hospital before entering the building and kidnapping a patient who had been admitted the previous day and was due to undergo surgery. Later the same day, the patient was found dead on a street in the city's Al Mansoura district.

MSF pointed out that this incident follows several other threats and security incidents this year involving patients and staff, even as the hospital is particularly busy treating people wounded in the escalating violence in Aden.

"MSF is concerned about the deteriorating security situation in Aden and consequences on its medical activities.", head of the group's mission in Yemen twitted.

Local media quoted eyewitnesses as saying a young man in his 20s was found killed in Sheikh Othman District of Aden port city, seat of the Yemeni internationally-recognized government.

"It is clear that the man underwent several shots on different parts of his body claiming his life," said the witnesses.

The incident comes one day after another 20s-year-old man was found killed, also in Aden.

Since its liberation from Houthis in July 2015, Aden has been suffering destabilized security and vast spread of arms, leading to surge in violence and sporadic assassinations and explosions.

Authority of the government is claimed by many local powers, mostly backed by UAE, that possess up to heavy weapons and control vast swaths of Aden and some other Yemeni provinces.

Yemen has been racked by bloody conflict between the Saudi-backed government and the Iranian-backed Houthis who have taken over Sana'a the capital and most populated areas in the north since late in 2014, triggering what the UN dub as the world's worst humanitarian crisis.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment