Houthis attribute unilateral withdrawal to coalition rejection to apply deal

Sana'a (Debriefer)
2019-05-12 | Since 2 Week

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

Houthi unilateral withdrawal from Hodeida three ports has come because the Saudi-led coalition refused to apply Stockholm Agreement, said a leader of the group Saturday, while a government minister has warned of the "misleading, acceptable" move.

Houthi one-sided redeployment has come following the American, British, Saudi, Emirati aggression's refusal" to apply Stockholm deal, said member of the Houthi Supreme Political Council on Twitter.

"The withdrawal confirms that the aggression countries were behind the stalled implementation of the pact," Mohamed Ali al-Houthi added.

On their part, the Yemeni government has dubbed the rebel offer as misleading.

"The offer by Houthi militias to redeploy from Hodeida, Salif and Ras Isa ports that started Saturday is inaccurate, misleading and a duplication of the militias' farce" when they handed Hodeida to their elements, government Information Minister Moa'mmar al-Eryani added on Twitter.

"Any unilateral withdrawal is unacceptable as it doesn't allow for joint monitoring and verification of the deal application," he said, warning of Houthi attempts to "mislead the international community and UN Security Council prior to its next session."

On Friday, the United Nations said Houthi group would start Saturday unilateral withdrawal from the ports of Hodeida, Salif used for grain transport, and Ras Isa used for oil shipment.

Houthi leader said the withdrawal would start at 10:00 am local time, calling on the UN and its Security Council to "take measures against aggression countries."

Eryani has said his government "is welcoming any serious step towards fulfilling the pact and Hodeida redeployment" but it should not forgotten that "Hodeida deal first step includes .. submission of mines' maps to the UN, removal mines and explosives, demilitarization, and constant monitoring and verification."

Yemen has been racked by a 4-year bloody conflictbetween the internationally recognized Yemeni government's forces, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, and the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels who ousted the government.

Parties to the 4-year war in Yemen, after 8-day peace talks in Sweden, reached on the 13th of last December an agreement providing for ceasefire in Hodeida and redeployment of both sides' forces, exchanging prisoners and alleviating blockade imposed by Houthis on Taiz.

But none of this has taken place so far, with both sides trading blames for trying to thwart the deal.

The Red Sea city of Hodeida and its ports have been under Houthi control since late 2014, while Yemeni joint forces loyal to legitimate government and Arab coalition have massed at the city's fringes since last November seeking to retake the strategic port.

Danish General Michael Lollesgaard, head of the Redeployment Coordination Committee, said the UN Mission to Support the Hodeida Agreement "will monitor and report on this unilateral redeployment," noting this was "a first practical step on the ground" since the UN-brokered Agreement reached between Yemeni rivals, and stressing that it must be followed by "the committed, transparent and sustained actions of the parties to fully deliver on their obligations."

"Furthermore," the UN general added, "this unilateral redeployment should allow for establishing a UN leading role in supporting the Red Sea Ports Corporation in managing the ports," as well as for enhancing the UN Verification and Inspection Mechanism in accordance with the Agreement.

The UN mission has developed redeployment plans according to the Stockholm Agreement, the first great breakthrough in peace efforts.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment