Yemeni gov't says UN personnel arrives to monitor Houthi withdrawal

Aden (Debriefer)
2019-05-13 | Since 3 Month

Houthi forces prepared for withdrawal from Salif port, 11 May

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

UN monitors have arrived in Yemen to supervise Houthi withdrawal and to help government monitors gain access to the three Red Sea ports, said military spokesman for the official government on Sunday.

The UN Envoy Martin Griffiths has expressed optimism as the Houthi group started withdrawal from Hodeida, Salif and Ras Isa ports.

OnSaturday, Houthissaid their forces had begun withdrawal from the three ports under the supervision of UN monitoring teams.

Officials at the internationally-recognized government, however, dubbed the Houthi move as "misleading and farce," with FM Yamani saying the Stockholm deal on Hodeida does not include unilateral withdrawal by any party.

Later, government spokesman, Wathah al-Dubaish, said the UN General Michael Lollesgaard and his team in the Redeployment Coordination Committee met Saturday with General Sagheer bin Aziz, head of the government counterpart team,and gave him clarifications about the UN statement on the Houthi 4-day withdrawal.

"Today, UN monitors arrived to supervise the withdrawal, and government monitors will be briefed on the withdrawal mechanism and allowed access to the three Red Sea ports to make sure" of the process, the Anadolu Agency quoted Dubaish as saying.

UN spokesman Farhan Haq said the UN mission was working with parties to ensure suitable administrative arrangements in place.

According to BBC, the UN envoy has expressed optimism, despite the fragile issue. "We have what to do to ensure the Yemeni government is satisfied."

Dubaish said the "government team has been informed that, in implementation of Stockholm Agreement, Houthi withdrawal from ports would begin Sunday."

The UN is exerting efforts to end the fierce war between the Saudi-backedYemeni government and the Iran-backed Houthi.

Parties to the 4-year war in Yemen, after 8-day peace talks in Sweden, reached on the 13th of last December an agreement providing for ceasefire in Hodeida and redeployment of both sides' forces, exchanging prisoners and alleviating blockade imposed by Houthis on Taiz.

But none of this has taken place so far, with both sides trading blames for trying to thwart the deal.

The Red Sea city of Hodeida and its ports have been under Houthi control since late 2014, while Yemeni joint forces loyal to legitimate government and Arab coalition have massed at the city's fringes since last November seeking to retake the strategic port.

The conflict has triggeredwhat the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 14 million people risking famine and some 1.8 million children suffering malnutrition.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment