Houthis: Withdrawal agreement made two months ago, local authority responsible for ports management

Sana'a (Debriefer)
2019-05-13 | Since 2 Week

Mohammed al-Bukhaiti

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

Houthis group (Ansar Allah) in Yemen said the withdrawal of its forces from three major ports in the province of Hodeida west of the country came in accordance with the agreement signed by the parties two months ago, noting that the local authority is responsible for the management of ports after the withdrawal either by the Houthis or the Yemen' internationally recognized government.

The senior leader of the group, a member of the political bureau Mohammed al-Bukhaiti, said that the withdrawal of the group forces from the three ports of Hodeida came in the context of the implementation signed by the parties two months ago, which provided for the withdrawal of the Houthis from the three ports in return for the withdrawal of the "legitimate" government forces from the Red Sea Mills, east of Hodeida.

"Hadi's government refused to withdraw from the Red Sea Mills at the time, and fled the implementation of the Stockholm agreement," the Houthi leader said in an interview with the program "Between the Lines," broadcast via Sputnik's Russian news channel.

He claimed that his group "was presented to the UN team unilaterally, but UN envoy Martin Griffithspreferred the withdrawal to be simultaneous, and for two months Griffiths tried to persuade the other party to implement the agreement, but ultimately failed, and agreed to withdraw Ansar Allah from one party.".

The Houthi leader pointed out that the commitment of the government of President Abdrabuh Mansour Hadi to carry out what it stresses is serious. He added: "The ball in the United Nations and the Yemeni people have pressed the other side to implement its commitments on the humanitarian side."

Regardig to the party that will oversee the three ports after the withdrawal of the Houthis forces said al-Bukhaiti: " According to the agreement of Sweden, the local authority will be responsible for the management of ports after the withdrawal, either by Ansar Allah or by Hadi side, noting that the Stockholm agreement did not provide for the supervision of any party to withdrawals, and that the role of the United Nations only oversight.

The Houthi group announced on Saturday the start of the "unilateral withdrawal" and said it came as a result of the refusal of pro-government forces "backed by the Arab coalition to implement the Stockholm agreement.

The Yemeni "legitimate" government accused the Houthi group on Saturday night to continue "manipulation", and talked about the "repetition" of handing over ports, and said that the Houthis handed over security to their elements dressed in civilian clothes.

The UN is exerting efforts to end the fierce war between the Saudi-backedYemeni government and the Iran-backed Houthi.

Parties to the 4-year war in Yemen, after 8-day peace talks in Sweden, reached on the 13th of last December an agreement providing for ceasefire in Hodeida and redeployment of both sides' forces, exchanging prisoners and alleviating blockade imposed by Houthis on Taiz.

But none of this has taken place so far, with both sides trading blames for trying to thwart the deal.

The Red Sea city of Hodeida and its ports have been under Houthi control since late 2014, while Yemeni joint forces loyal to legitimate government and Arab coalition have massed at the city's fringes since last November seeking to retake the strategic port.

The conflict has triggeredwhat the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 14 million people risking famine and some 1.8 million children suffering malnutrition.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment