Houthis say they completed first-phase Hodeida redeployment

Sana'a (Debriefer)
2019-05-14 | Since 3 Month

Houthi forces withdraw from port of Hodeida

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

Houthi group (Ansar Allah) announced on Monday that the first-phase of redeployment from the Red Sea port city of Hodeida was completed under the UN supervision.

Houthi-run "Saba" news agency reported that the Chief of the UN Coordination Committee General Michael Lollesgaard praised the interaction of the national team in the joint committee to facilitate the tasks of the completing the re

deployment phase.

The agency added that the Deputy Chief of the UN Coordination Committee Janez Frernandes said that the first phase was carried out without any difficulties in verifying and supervising the redeployment in the three ports.

According to the the head of the United Nations observer team at the port of Slif Sani Alison "Saba" reported was that the redeployment had been carried out unhindered and that the Houthi group had "provided all facilities."

For his part, deputy head of the General Staff of the Yemeni forces of the Houthis, Major General Ali Hamoud al-Mushaki said that "the Coast Guard forces hand over the ports of Hodeida of the army and the Popular Committees and is concerned with its protection."

Brigadier al-Moshiki told Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV: "The presence of forces of aggression (Arab Coalition) in the coast of Hodeida and its attempt to storm the city of Hodeida during the past period prompted the state to send troops to the city to protect ports,".

He added: "Coast Guard forces a regular force trained and competent in this work of securing the ports of Hodeida and the coastal strip."

The United Nations has not yet issued any formal comment on the conclusion of the redeployment operation, which was announced last Saturday and will end on Tuesday.

The Yemen's internationally-recognized government described the Houthis' withdrawal under a UN-brokered peace deal as "an inaccurate and misleading offer."

Yemen has been racked by an armed conflict that entered its fifth year and had already triggered the world's worst humanitarian crisis, according to the UN, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including some 2 million children suffering severe shortage of nutrition in absence of adequate health care.

The two sides agreed to redeploy their forces outside the ports of Hodeida, Al-Salif and Ras Isa and the city of Hodeida and to ceasefire as of 7th. But nothing has been achieved on the group, with both sides trading blame for non-compliance with the terms agreed in Sweden.

The city of Hodeida and its three ports have been under Houthi control since late 2014, while Yemeni joint forces loyal to legitimate government and Arab coalition have massed at the city's fringes seeking to retake the strategic port.

 


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment