Arab League denounces Houthi attempted attack on Mecca

Cairo – Sana'a (Debriefer)
2019-05-21 | Since 3 Month

Mecca Holy Mosque

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The Arab League (AL) Secretary-General on Tuesday denounced the Houthi Monday attempts to target Mecca with two ballistic missiles, charge denied by the group.

Ahmed Abu al-Ghait dismissed "such terrorist acts as serious threat, not only against Saudi security and stability, but also against the whole regional security, and as a violation against sanctity of sacred places and Ramadan," according to AL spokesman Mahmoud Afifi.

AL stands fully by Saudi Arabia in confronting all that would jeopardize its national security and stability, and supports measures taken by Saudi authorities to confront this threat, Abu al-Ghait said in a statement.

AL rejects any attempt to expand the armed conflict suffered by Yemen over recent years, the statement read.

Houthis have strongly denied accusations of targeting holy places in Saudi Arabia.

These allegations can no longer deceive anyone, said the group.This "is not the first time the aggressioncountries claim we target sacred places."

Coalition states have previously made "such charges to evadeIslamic peoples' resentment against the war crimes and brutal actsthey commit on the Yemeni Muslim people, and to seek baseless justifications to keep some countries participating in the aggression," Houthi statement claimed.

Houthi spokesman, Mohamed Abdulsalam, has said "the enemy claim .. is a Saudi failed attempt to get out of the plight .. Targeting civilians and holly places is not of Houthi morals."

On Monday, the Saudi-led coalitionsaid two ballistic missiles had been intercepted over Saudi territories where Mecca is located.

The first missile was intercepted over Taif City, while heading for Mecca, and the other over the Red Sea city of Jeddah, Al-Arabiya quoted eyewitnesses as saying.

According to Okadh paper, the Taif missile was downed just before dawn. "This flagrant assault unveils the reality of the Iranian plans to destabilize security and safety of pilgrims in Ramadan."

Yemen has been racked by an armed conflict that broke out after the Iranian-backed Houthis had ousted the internationally recognized government late in 2014.

The conflict escalated after a Saudi-led coalition intervened militarily in the country in March 2015 to reinstate the government of President Hadi.

Yemen 4-year war has triggered what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 14 million people risking famine and some 1.8 million children suffering malnutrition.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment