Following his crisis with "legitimate" government

Griffiths renews talks with Yemeni parties

New York (Debriefer)
2019-06-23 | Since 4 Week

Martin Griffiths

إضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The UN Secretary-General's Special Envoy to Yemen, Martin Griffiths, will resume next Wednesday, his talks with the parties to the Yemeni conflict after a two-month pause to discuss the developments of the crisis in the country, which has been in a bloody conflict for power for more than four years.

Diplomatic sources said at the United Nations Griffiths will meet Saudi officials and others in the internationally recognized government for the first time in two months after the latter accused the UN envoy of being biased towards Houthis group (Ansar Allah) and "tolerating them in circumventing the Swedish agreement."

On Saturday, the internationally recognized institution of the Yemeni presidency said President Abdrabbo Mansour Hadi received an official letter from

United Nations chief Antonio Guterres, which included the international organization's reaffirmation of the partnership with the Yemeni government in reaching a peaceful solution in Yemen according to the three terms of reference and the implementation of the Hodeida Agreement in the correct manner.

The Secretary-General of the United Nations added that all the concerns raised in President Hadi's letter to Guterres on 22 May, which was reaffirmed and delivered as a document in a meeting with Under-Secretary-General for Political Affairs Rosemary DiCarlo, had been taken into account.

He was considered that the relationship between the United Nations and the government of President Abdrabbo Mansour Hadi is the key solution as the sole legitimate representative of the Yemeni people.

Yemen has been racked by a 4-year bloody conflict between the internationally-recognized Yemeni government's forces, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, and the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels who ousted the government in 2014.

The Red Sea city of Hodeida and its ports have been under Houthi control since late 2014, while Yemeni joint forces loyal to legitimate government and Arab coalition have massed at the city's fringes since last November seeking to retake the strategic port.

On 14 May, the UN said Houthi group had withdrawn from Hodeida, Salif and Ras Isa ports, in application of the UN-brokered Stockholm peace deal that made breakthrough in UN efforts to end war in Yemen.

The move raised wrath of the Yemeni government that dubbed Houthi withdrawal as farce.

On 22 May, President Hadi sent an official letter to the UN SG AntonioGuterres talking about unprecedented, unacceptable desecrations committed by Griffiths, accusing the UN envoy of seeking to "provide guarantees for Houthi militias to stay in Hodeida under UN umbrella."

The Yemeni President asked the UN chief for sufficient guarantees that those violations would be reviewed and not repeated.

 

 


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment