A local committee of the Houthis group (Ansar Allah) has appealed to the UN World Food Program (WFP) to back down on the decision to suspend food aid in the Yemeni capital Sanaa, which has been under the group's control since September 2014.
The World Food Program was announced last Thursday a partial suspension of food aid operations due to a dispute with the Huthis group on the application of biometrics to verify the identity of the beneficiaries of such assistance.
According to Houthi-run Saba news agency, the technical committee for humanitarian relief in the capital Sana'a, controlled by the Houthi group, warned at a meeting on Tuesday of a humanitarian disaster in Sana'a if the World Food Program implemented its decision to suspend aid,
The Committee appealed to WFP to reverse its decision because of the consequences of depriving thousands of citizens of food assistance, including those displaced as a result of fighting in the country for more than four years.
The committee urged all concerned parties to work to find alternatives and mobilize capacities to counter the repercussions of suspension of humanitarian aid
At the same time, it stressed that no aid should be accepted at the expense of Yemeni dignity.
The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) estimated on Friday the volume of food aid channeled to help finance the conflict in areas under the control of the Houthis (Ansar Allah) group is at least 10%.
"There are hard-liners inside the Ansar Allah movement that don’t care about people, they don’t care about anything other than profiteering and destabilization." said WFP Executive Director David Beasley.
Baisley added in an interview with Reuters: "At this stage, you can clearly say the humanitarian system is funding military and political operations. We are independent, neutral, impartial and if we can can’t guarantee that, we shouldn’t be there."
"The entire humanitarian system is at stake here.", he added.
The Executive Director of UNPF expressed his hope that " he authorities in Sanaa will come to their senses and do what’s right for the people," noting that had been talking to and meeting with Houthi leaders such as Abdulmalik al-Houthi and his brother who had been doing their best to find a solution.
" the WFP estimated that at least 10 percent of the $175 million of food aid per month they provided was being diverted in Houthi areas to help fund the conflict against the Saudi-led coalition.", he said.
Yemen has been devastated by a five-year armed conflict by the government backed by the coalition and the Iran-backed Houthis.
More than 11.000 civilians have been killed and tens of thousands of others injured in the war. Millions have been displaced and tens of thousands have fled outside the country.
The coalition has been responsible for the vast majority of civilian casualties, according to the UN and international human rights organisations.
The conflict has caused what the United Nations calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis.
More than 24 million people, more than 80% of the country's population, are in need some form of humanitarian or protection assistance, including 8.4 million people who don't know where their next meal will come from, according to the UN.
And there are nearly 2 million children suffering from acute malnutrition, the UN said.