Yemeni gov't calls int'l organizations to be transparent

Aden (Debriefer)
2019-05-30 | Since 4 Month

Najeeb al-Awej

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

The internationally-recognized Yemeni government on Wednesday said 80 percent of international organizations working in the country refuse to respond to enquiries about their operational expenses and aid they provide to Yemeni people.

The government planning minister warned these groups of legal actions that would deny them activity in the impoverished country.

The Yemeni public opinion asks about how the aid funds (provided by donors through groups in Yemen) are spent, Dr. Najeeb al-Awej added in remarks to Asharq al-Awsat, so the government follows this issue with great concern.

Yemen has been racked by a 4-year bloody conflictbetween the internationally-recognized Yemeni government's forces, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, and the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels who ousted the government in 2014.

The conflict hastriggered what the UN calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis, with most of the population in need for a type of humanitarian aid and immediate protection, including 14 million people risking famine and some 1.8 million children suffering malnutrition.

Last April, Yemeni activists launched a campaign inquiring about the fate of some $20 billion of global assistance to Yemen over 4 years of war.

The campaign has been aimed to pressure groups into applying transparency criteria and enabling community accountability efforts, after many reports were issued on misuse and mismanagement in terms of purchasing and distributing the aid supplies, according to activists.

Some international groups exaggerate their operational expenses that amount to 25 percent, said planning minister, while the global known rate is but 5 percent.

The government re-raised the issue before UN and other international agencies, including the WB, but 80% of the groups have not responded, though the other 20% have displayed high flexibility and presented clear figures, Awej added.

People ask about how funds are channeled, and "we represent the people and will strongly react to any popular demands, he said asserting that his government is about to take legal actions.

The donors worm to see their gifted funds going the right direction, and the government will make contacts with donors to consult on the issue, he added. "Any organization that doesn't respond, will be given chance and, then, will be denied renewed permission," under UN and Yemeni laws.

"We grant these groups exemptions from customs duties and tax and provide them with facilities. They are expected, in return, to transparently respond, since we only ask for obvious figures."


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment