Yemen gov't says STC refuses to apply Socotra pact

Socotra (Debriefer)
2020-06-19 | Since 3 Month

Socotra

The Southern Transitional Council (STC) refuses to apply normalization pact and persistently sends reinforcements to the center of Socotra, a local official of the Yemeni southern governorate said Thursday.
While the government forces have already started applying the deal, the Emirati-backed STC has "refused and kept mobilizing its forces towards Hadibo," Socotra provincial capital, he added.
"On Thursday, STC forces erected new military points at the western gate of Hadibo," the Anadolu Agency (AA) quoted the official as saying.
Wednesday evening, Saudi troops withdrew from two security posts in Hadibo and handed them to STC forces that went beyond them towards the city, other local sources told the AA.
Earlier on Wednesday, military leaders from the official government and the STC inked the pact under Arab coalition's sponsorship.
Under the deal, arms and vehicles can only leave military units after coordination with the coalition and security points would be removed, excepting those erected by the coalition, with two points kept by the STC and two others by the government forces.
The pact stipulates that parties may not direct arms at each other, the government-appointed general security would deploy police patrols in coordination with STC forces, and relevant authorities would arrest the suspects for opening fire from both parties.
The pact was crafted following clashes between the government and STC forces, leaving one soldier from the former and two others from the latter injured.
The STC deployed military reinforcements and vehicles in Haibaq Mont overlooking Hadibo.
On 30 April and 1 May, government forces foiled two attempts by the STC and supporting rebellious military groups to storm into Hadibo.


Follow us on twitter
@DebrieferNet

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet