Morocco changed participation in, not withdrew from, coalition

Rabat (Debriefer)
2019-02-08 | Since 1 Week

Undeclared tension in Moroccan-Saudi relations

اضغط هنا لقراءة الخبر بالعربية

Sources at the Moroccan foreign ministry denied on Friday reports that the kingdom withdrew from the Saudi-led military coalition in Yemen.

Morocco's position at the Yemen's war is still at the same level as described days ago by Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita, who said the 'Morocco no longer participates in military operations and did not attend the alliance's recent military maneuvers and ministerial meetings', sources told the Moroccan 'al-Yaum 24' daily.

Sources also denied Morocco's withdrawal of its envoy from Riyadh, noting that "the ambassador was recalled for consultations in Rabat, and this is what the envoy said himself describing the matter as 'transient crisis'."

These remarks come hours after the Associated Press quoted two Moroccan officials as confirming their country's withdrawal from the Arab coalition waging war in Yemen for nearly 4 years.

In their Friday statements to the local paper, Moroccan FM sources dubbed the American agency's reports as strange, since "Morocco, when it wants, expresses stances via authorized institutions and known channels."

Morocco is expected to voice "position on recent developments in Saudi relations, via official channels, after consultations have finished with the Moroccan ambassador to Riyadh."

On Thursday, the AP quoted the Moroccan officials as saying that their country suspended military interventions in Yemen and recalled its envoy to Riyadh for consultations.

Morocco refused to receive the Saudi Crown Prince, Mohammed Bin Salman, one of the two officials told the AP, putting the young prince in abnormal impasse that was justified by Moroccan authorities by 'time conflict'.

Moroccan Foreign Minister Bourita's appearance on Al-Jazeera TV last month to signal at his country's serious reservations at the Saudi Crown Prince's trip, the AP cited sources, especially after Khashoggi murder and resultant international condemnation.

No official statement has been released so far by the Moroccan government on relations with Saudi Arabia, which has been witnessing undeclared tension on the background of some issues including Saudi vote against Moroccan application to host World Cup 2030.


Follow us on twitter

Follow us on Telegram
https://telegram.me/DebrieferNet

LATEST

Read Also


Comments

No comments

Add Comment